Here is a list of goods and services by men and/or for men including local ones that follow the Well-Met Code; other local places to simply get good looks, food, and drink catering to men’s style; followed by other green businesses and ways to shop and be philanthropic at the same time.
Just For Menwaukee
Places and spaces that cater to men and men alone
Milwaukee businesses that promote wellness and yet are man-approved
- Blue’s Egg A Breakfast and Lunch only restaurant with one of the best brunches in town in a simple, art-deco inspired setting. Each day at Blue’s, you can order the “Egg Plate” and know that one dollar will be donated to a monthly-changing, local organization. Brother restaurant Maxie’s Southern Comfort also has local and green practices with amazing southern-inspired comfort food as the name suggests.
- Braise A Milwaukee business that ‘makes local, peak of season produce easily accessible to area restaurants’, and now has their own restaurant. Like others who get their food from Braise, the restaurant proves that fresh, local, and good doesn’t have to be flavorless and includes meat.
- Comet Cafe and The Comet is a Milwaukee classic with ‘from scratch’ food of decidedly Milwaukee character made with fresh, local ingredients (a member of Braise). A favorite for brunch, and a ‘Best Hangover Breakfast’ place after those binges.
- Cory The Bike Fixer Biking is a big part of the wellness movement – for people and the earth. Get healthy and save emissions by biking. And there is no cooler place to get or fix a bike than at Cory’s. He also fixes up used bikes and sells them as good as (or better than) new. See our Heview.
- Honeypie Cafe is another Mid-Western-inspired menu (comfort food like mac-n-cheese and ribs) with local, fresh ingredients (a Braise member).
- Palomino A retro styled, old-school bar that has many vegetarian options on their menu.
- Potosi Brewing Wisconsin brewery that is a non-profit organization whose mission is ‘to channel all profits into its markets served to support historical and educational initiatives, and charitable causes’ and also houses the American Breweriana Association national museum.
- Stack’d Bar Combining quality local produce and grass-fed beef… destination for gourmet burgers…using only Wisconsin raised and grown ingredients (where possible) from local brands and co-ops. With drink specials on Mondays and Wednesdays supporting local breweries and distillers.
- Transfer Pizzeria and Via Downer a pair of brother restaurants that use local ingredients (a Braise member) and also promote a green, healthy lifestyle with promotions for bikers and users of public transportation.
- Milwaukee Area Farmer’s Markets 2012 list of markets to get local, fresh food, and commiserate with like-minded people. Also check out the Farm Fresh Atlas for a comprehensive list of farmer’s markets and farms you can buy direct from in all of Southeastern Wisconsin.
Businesses that support green practices with man-approved style
- Cycle Dog Dog collars and leashes made from reclaimed inner tubes
- Ecowise – organic cotton underwear
- Green Label Organic – organic cotton for men with cool designs
- Life is Good – Good Karma organic cotton line
- nau – very fashionable stuff
- Patagonia – has a full line of men’s organic cotton
- REI carries many organic cotton brands some of which are listed here as well as their own
- Print on demand sites such as Zazzle and Cafepress have organic selections (here I would like to work with creative individuals to create our own designs and pick charity(ies) or the proceeds to go to – are you up to it?)
- Red Dog eco-sport – organic cotton underwear
- Kaufmann Mercantile – Many natural/organic items and also a Made in USA products page.
Shop and Share
Places to shop that also donate when you shop
- B1G1 – Buy 1 Give 1 participating businesses
- Master & Commander – donates one jacket for every purchased to refugees
- TOMS a prominent B1G1 shoe and eyewear business