Since 1970 January has been declared National Volunteer Blood Donor Month, and with good reason. Above all other times of the year, it’s the month that presents the most challenges in recruiting people to give blood. Changing weather, busy holiday schedules, increased cold and flu symptoms and even the winter blues can keep the most dedicated blood donors from making or keeping an appointment to give. Yet winter weather can lead to more traumatic injuries on icy roads and may increase the need for blood.
BloodCenter of Wisconsin collects and distributes life-saving blood and marrow for Wisconsin families and tissue and organs for southeastern Wisconsin families. A private, not-for-profit organization, BloodCenter of Wisconsin also specializes in diagnostic testing, medical services, and leading-edge basic and clinical research.
BloodCenter makes it easy to find and make an appointment for a blood donation at their website. All donors should be in good health on the day of donation. To be eligible to donate, you must:
- Be at least 17 years old. (16-year-olds may donate with parental consent. For more information, please read Parental Information on Blood Donation.)
- Weigh at least 110 lbs.
- Be free of major cold, flu, and allergy symptoms.
- Present a photo I.D. with birth date
- Not have had hepatitis after age 11.
- Not have had any risk factors/behaviors associated with HIV/AIDS.
- Milwaukee Oak Creek 1/6/12 1:00 PM 6:00 PM Oak Creek West Middle School Multipurpose Room 8401 S 13th St
- Milwaukee Wauwatosa 1/9/12 9:00 AM 1:00 PM Corix Utilities American Red Cross Bus 11020 W Plank Ct
- Milwaukee Milwaukee 1/12/12 10:00 AM 2:00 PM Schlitz Park Office Building Atrium 1555 N River Center Dr 209
- Milwaukee Milwaukee 1/13/12 8:00 AM 2:00 PM Ronald Reagan High School 2nd Floor Gym 4965 S 20th St
- Milwaukee Milwaukee 1/23/12 9:30 AM 3:30 PM Marquette Univ Health Law Society Eckstein Hall – Rm 433AB 1215 W Michigan Ave
- Milwaukee Wauwatosa 1/24/12 12:30 PM 5:30 PM YMCA W Suburban Branch Studio 2420 N 124th St
- Milwaukee Milwaukee 1/25/12 9:00 AM 1:00 PM AO Smith Corp Conference Room 11270 W Park Pl
To be eligible to donate you must:
- be at least 17 years old (16 in Wisconsin with signed Red Cross parental consent form).
- weigh at least 110 lbs.
- be in good health.
Please consider making a blood donation this month.